In light of recent news, we are printing this section of Patricia Dascher’s Book ~ Suicide is Not Your Answer for you to recognize the warning signs of a suicidal person.
Warning Signs of Suicidal
People who kill themselves may exhibit some of these warning signs, either through what they say or what they do. As you read this don’t assume everyone that has one of these signs is suicidal. There may be other reasons such as depression, post-traumatic stress or illness. The more warning signs, however, the greater the risk.
If a person talks about:
- Killing them self.
- Having no reason to live.
- Being a burden to others.
- Feeling trapped.
- Unbearable pain.
A person’s suicide risk is greater if a behavior is new or has increased, especially if it’s related to a painful event, loss, or change.
- Increased use of alcohol or drugs.
- Looking for a way to kill them self, such as searching online for materials or means.
- Acting recklessly.
- Withdrawing from activities.
- Isolating from family and friends.
- Sleeping too much or too little.
- Visiting or calling people to say goodbye.
- Giving away prized possessions.
- Previous suicide attempts.
People who are considering suicide often display one or more of the following moods.
- Loss of Interest
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.